2013 Annual Membership Meeting: Recap
On April 8th and 9th, 2013 VHTA members came together in record numbers to meet, greet and network at VHTA's Annual Membership Meeting at Hotel Roanoke in Roanoke, VA!
· The Virginia Hotel & Lodging Association invited hospitality veteran Sandee Swearingen to speak to the group on how to use social media to increase room nights and search engine optimization.
· The Virginia Restaurant Association invited guest speakers Rob Weeks and Steve Slone from Benchmark Benefits to speak to the group on the topic of Healthcare Reform: Big changes for large and small businesses.
· The Virginia Travel Association welcomed Thad Smith, Director of Advertising for Virginia Tourism Corporation to share the new VTC media plan and opportunities for Virginia’s hospitality businesses.
Following the Component Association Meetings, the VHTA convened for a Government Affairs work session. Kristian Havard, Director of Government Affairs, provided attendees a detailed recap of the 2013 legislative session. During the 2013 session, the VHTA successfully represented the industry on Labor Day, ABC legislation, Regional Occupancy and Meal tax legislation, and Fire Safety regulatory impacts. At the conclusion of session, the transportation caucus introduced their bill which placed a significant increase in taxes on Northern Virginia hotels. The VHTA, in cooperation with its regional NOVA members, successfully lobbied and persuaded the Governor and regional representatives to lower the bill’s taxing impact. Following Kristian’s recap, the group broke into smaller, regional groups to discuss legislative issue by locality and identify key initiatives and individuals which must be contacted as legislators are now back in their home districts.
We concluded our evening at the O. Winston Link Museum inside the Roanoke Valley CVB for a reception and dinner. Many thanks to all our great Sponsors, who made this networking and social event possible.
On Tuesday the VHTA hosted an educational session on increasing profitable sales, after a well-attended Suppliers Component meeting. HSMAI keynote speaker, Howard Feiertag, provided an informative and entertaining presentation on improving profitable sales in the hospitality marketplace. Following a short break, we gathered for the 2012 Outstanding Industry Awards presentation and luncheon.
VIEW THE 2012 OUTSTANDING INDUSTRY AWARD WINNERS HERE
It was our pleasure to formally recognize these individuals for their outstanding contributions to our industry. During the award luncheon we also enjoyed presentations from our partners and event sponsors. The Board of Directors & Membership Meeting brought our Annual Membership Meeting to a close. In this meeting VHTA welcomed gubernatorial candidate, Terry McAuliffe, who spoke to the group about his campaign. Next, Barry Hawkins-VHTA Executive Director gave his report to the attendees. Finally, we ended with the installation of our new 2013 Board of Directors.
VIEW THE 2013 SLATE OF OFFICERS & DIRECTORS HERE
VHTA would like to give a big THANK YOU to our partners and meeting sponsors! We encourage all VHTA members to contact these valuable members of our Association to see if their services can bring value to your business.
Allstate, FPIS & Heartland Payment Services.
BMI, Fidelity Power Systems, Cintas, Holiday Signs & Benchmark Benefits.
O. Winston Link Museum, Roanoke Valley CVB, Williamsburg Winery &
Virginia Linen Service
PICTURES FROM THE ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING CAN BE FOUND HERE
- 2013 Virginia General Assembly - Contact Your Legislator
- Legislators want to hear from you, constituents,both now and during the upcoming 2013 General Assembly Session. With just one click, learn about them and contact them. Members-Only
- VHTA PAC